On April 2, 1982, Argentine Marines and Special Forces troops landed near Stanley, the capital of the Falklands and the largest community, and took control of the islands, establishing by force Argentina's historical claim to the islands. However, Great Britain's response was not what Argentina expected and a task force of naval ships and troops set sail on the 8,000 mile voyage to reclaim the Falklands setting the stage for a clash of the old and new worlds in this remote area of the South Atlantic.
Squad Battles Falklands lets you recreate this short, but sharp war between Great Britain and Argentina over what boiled down to little more than national honor. As the British player you can command some of the finest troops in the world, including the SAS, SBS, Paras and Royal Marine Commandos as you try to return British sovereignty to a part of the Commonwealth. Or as the Argentine player, your command includes Army commandos, paratroopers and the conscripts who fought with pride for the love of their country. The wind-swept, barren hills of the Islas Malvinas await you.
You can read more about the game including a brief history of the war from the Designer Notes.
- 54 scenarios covering actions such as Operation Rosario, Grytviken, Coronation Ridge and Goose Green.
- Scenarios range in length from 6 to 36 turns and cover actions from small firefights between a handful of men to hundreds of men battling it out for key strongpoints on a variety of battlefields.
- Close quarters urban fighting, hostage rescues and a variety of remote terrain fights are modeled.
- 2 linked scenario campaigns.
- Players control squads or fire teams of men, individual leaders and individual vehicles in a variety of conditions.
- Based on a tried and true turn-based platform using 40 meter hexes and an intuitive interface allowing players to use a combination of mouse clicks, menu commands and hot keys to control their units.
- Views are in two levels of 2D.
In addition to the stand alone scenarios players may also choose to play the "campaign" format where they will play a series of scenarios centered around a particular figure. As long as this person survives each scenario they continue on to the next battle, but if he is lost the campaign game will end. For players who enjoy "sandbox" features of wargaming a wide array of editors is included - scenario editor, OOB editor, parameter data editor, DAT editor and sub-map editor. 7 "full" maps are included for use with the sub-map editor, which allows "chopping up" of a map to create a new smaller one to represent certain actions. These maps range in size from 76 x 58 hexes up to 778 x 240 hexes (the entire Port Stanley peninsula) - ample ground to make many custom scenarios.
Here are some files from the game (PDF Files):
- Project Coordinator: Rich Hamilton
- Scenario Designers: Jeff Conner and Joao Lima
- Scenario Maps: Dave "Blackie" Blackburn
- Campaign Maps: Mike Avanzini
- Playtesters: Dennis Suttman, Phil Driscoll, Nik Butler, Alan Florjancic, Bill Havice, Abram Harrison, Craig Forest, Chris Perleberg
System RequirementsWindows XP, Vista, or 7
Processor: 1 GHz
Disk Space: 1 GB
Memory: 1 GB
Falklands is available for sale at the John Tiller Software Store.