Resources & FAQ
A collection of links to interviews, downloads, websites and such that could be of interest to John Tiller Software customers. Additionally a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section will be compiled as time progresses to streamline the support process for our customers.
Castalia House - Panzer Battles interview with John Tiller & David Freer.
Castalia House - Campaign Series interview with John Tiller & Glenn Saunders.
These are options associated with games that are provided as free downloads.
- Menu Program 1.02 - This menu program should be installed in the same root folder you install your John Tiller Software games to (for example C:\John Tiller Software). It will provide you with an interface for browsing and opening all files and programs associated with your installed games. This menu program will be particularly useful for Windows 10 users since installations under Windows 10 do not include the game folder in the Start menu.
- Menu Program Backgrounds - 10 Background images to choose from for your JTS Menu program installation. See the enclosed Readme file for installation details.
- Campaign Antietam 3D Maps - Drawn by Frank Mullins (Old Banshee). Unzip this download into your Campaign Antietam game folder. Depending on the scenario, these images will show up automatically in 3D views in the game when they correspond to the scenario map file. NOTE: There is an alignment issue when using these that is fixed in the Campaign Antietam JTS version 2.01.
- Campaign Antietam 3D Maps - Update 1 - A new set of 3 large 3D maps for Campaign Antietam by Frank Mullins (Antietam, Bull Run_sub, and 2nd Bull Run_sub). NOTE: This set of maps is almost 1 Gigabyte in size! Be sure you have the connection speed, time, and space to download a file this big before starting.
- Waterloo Expansion Pack - Includes new versions of the standard 3 OOB's with the addition of Davout's French Reserve, Paget's British Corps, Lord Beresford's Portuguese, and the Prussian Nord Deutsche Korps. It also includes 11 new standard scenarios using those OOB's. The expansion pack also contains 83 scenarios, 4 new maps, and modified OOB's which allow players to use company-level units instead of the default battalion/regiment. By Rich White, Claes Melbro, and Rich Hamilton.
Scenario Design Center - a variety of add-on content for the games as well as modding discussions and resources.
Wargame Design Studio - Home of WDS which spearheads the Panzer Battles, Panzer Campaigns & Civil War Battles development.
Task Force Echp 4 - a plethora of Squad Battles related content.
**Note** - We are including these links in the interest of connecting people of similar interest so they may find opponents to play our games against. That in no way represents an "endorsement" of any particular club or condones anything which takes place within the club. Everyone must decide for themselves where they find opponents. With that said - our games SHINE when played by email. I (Rich) can't tell you how many hours of enjoyment I have had conducting PBEM games against guys all over the world...so explore, and, enjoy...
The Blitz Wargaming Club - covers all the different JTS series of games.
American Civil War Gaming Club - ACWGC - focuses on the Civil War Battles series of games.
Napoleonic Wargaming Club - NWC - focuses on the Napoleonic Battles series of games.
The Colonial Campaigns Club - CCC - focuses on the EAW series of games.
The Wargaming Society - covers all the different JTS series of games.
Q: I'm an old HPS customer, how can I get a serial number to run the latest updates on your site?
A: Contact our Support department using this form. Once we validate your purchase we will issue you a free serial number. *Note* We are only issuing serial numbers for games with updates posted to our site. Once other series have been updated we will issue numbers for those games.
Q: Do I have to contact you each time I want to install my game on a new computer?
A: No. When you make your original purchase you should choose to save the installer file to your local hard drive. Once the download is complete you can install the game from that file. When done we suggest you make a backup copy of the installer file to a DVD-R or some other external medium for future use. Also, you can create a text file on that same medium to list your serial number(s).
Q: So I made my backup copy, but lost it and now my computer crashed - do I have to buy the game again?
A: Absolutely not. Contact our support department and we can resend your original order email with serial number and re-activated download link.
Q: I have a new computer. When I installed my game and entered my serial number I get a "2" and it fails to activate, can you help?
A: Yes, this is an error caused by a serial number issued from our orginal Store. Simply grab the update(s) off our site, apply them then re-launch & re-activate your game. You'll be all set.
Q: I'm running Windows 10 and when I install multiple games the shortcuts in the start menu are all messed up. Can you help?
A: Yes! Download and install the Menu Program linked above in the "Downloads" section. Ensure you install it in the root of your game directory, which by default is C:\John Tiller Software. It will then allow you to access all your games, editors & PDF documentation from a single interface.
Q: I can't access the documentation for my game, what am I missing?
A: All current documentation is in PDF format. You need to ensure you have the free Adobe Reader installed on your system and set as the default PDF reader. To grab the latest version go here.
Q: I have an old copy of my game on cd, will it run on newer versions of Windows?
A: Yes, however you need to do a custom install when you load the game. When prompted for the destination folder you must change the target directory from "C:\Program Files\..." to something else. You can make it go to C:\John Tiller Software\... or something else like C:\Games\... - what ever you prefer. Just be sure to avoid Windows System created folders as the games will not function properly. You must then apply the most recent update for the game either from the JTS or HPS websites, as appropriate for the game.
Q: I've applied an update to my game, but it is still asking me for a CD. What's the problem?
A: The update is not applied to the correct folder. You must use the "Browse" button when running the update to locate the correct folder where your game is installed. It will not "auto detect" the location. *Note* If you purchase the game from the JTS site then the default folder path is C:\John Tiller Software\... and any update for that game will use that same path. The only reason you will have a path issue is if a) you did a custom install and changed it from the default or b) you installed from an old cd which used an old path.